As you know, a magnitude 5.2 earthquake occurred on 21.01.2021 at 16:27, affecting our country and the epicentre was Larnaca. It is gratifying that there was no loss of life or property damage..
It should not be forgotten that it is important to be prepared and informed to avoid the problems that might be caused because of earthquakes, which are the unavoidable geological facts of our region. For this reason, we would like to remind you the following recommendations we have compiled from the notices published by the TRNC Civil Defence Organization and Turkey Ministry of Interior Disaster And Emergency Management:
Do you know the precautions you can take during and after an earthquake?
If You Are in Indoors During Earthquake:
- Do not panic, stay calm.
- Avoid unfixed wardrobe, shelf, bookcases, windows, etc.
- A triangle of life should be created by seeking shelter near solid items such as a table, chairs, sofa etc.
- Cover your head (with pillow, book, etc.) to prevent being hit by falling objects. Be prepared to move with the object until the shaking has finished.
- Stay inside.
- Do not go out to the balcony.
- Do not jump from balconies or windows.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not use the telephone right after an earthquake, unless it is to call an ambulance or a fire engine.
If You Are Outdoors:
- Stay outside and stay away from
- Go to an open area away from buildings, power lines and poles, trees.
- If you are in a crowded public place, take cover where you won’t be trampled.
- Avoid staying close to the beach.
After an Earthquake:
- Stay calm. Help others if you are able.
- Be prepared for aftershocks.
- Listen to the radio or television for information from authorities. Follow their instructions.
- Place corded telephone receivers back in their cradles.
- Put on sturdy shoes and protective clothing to help prevent injury from debris, especially broken glass.
- Check your home for structural damage and other hazards. If you suspect your home is unsafe, do not re-enter.
If You Are trapped Under Debris:
- Stay calm, check yourself for injuries.
- Do not move around and use your energy in the most efficient way.
- Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort.