Department of Pilotage Terms of Application and Registration
- The height of applicants who will apply to this program must be between 165 - 190 cm., and the weight of the applicant must not exceed over 5 kgs. or become less than 15 kgs of the last two digits of the height, and the applicant must not suffer from stammering and stuttering. The applicants who wish to sign a contract of employment guarantee must not be older than 21 years of age (age corrections made exceeding the two years correction period will not be accepted).
- The medium of language instruction is English only. For those students whose English proficiencey level is not sufficient to meet the academic criteria, an English Preparatory School program is conducted for one or two academic terms. The English Preparatory School program is not included in the curriculum and schedule of the undergraduate program.
- As some phases of practical teaching-learning process will be carried out at premises and institutions of private and state air departments, a security research is conducted for each student who is entitled to study at this department. Students whose results of security research is negative and those who do not obey the rules, terms and requirements of this program are not allowed to continue their studies at this department.
- The applicants who are citizens of TRNC and TC must meet the criteria required by Article 24 of Flight Pilot Licence Regulations (SHY-1) of General Directorate of Civil Aviation (SHGM). Before starting the trainings, the terms and conditions of tests to be administered to students who will go under Professional flight trainings are specified by SHT-1T in accordance with JAR FCL1 and SHY-1 Regulations which was dated to 01.03.2014. The applicant must obtain 1st class health report issued by medical centres approved or authorized by SHGM and must have successfully passed the Personality and Preference Inventory (PAPI) Test. According to the Flight Pilot Licence Regulations (SHY-1), during the training period, student is responsible from any circumstances that might result with disqualification or expelling from flight trainings and/or program. In accordance with the requirements of the Flight Pilot Licence Regulations (SHY-1), if the applicant's health condition is unsuitable for becoming a flight pilot, the applicant will not be registered to the relevant department, and if the applicant has already been registered to the department, he/she will be transferred to another department. The circumstances of such students are debated between the relevant students and the Directorate of Registrar's Office, and, after OSYM is informed about the situation, the students are transfered to other higher education programs to which their scores are sufficient to be enrolled. Applicants from overseas countries must submit a health report from an authorized and official institution or obtain a health report from a health institituion authorized by SHGM, and must also provide an official security report obtained from INTERPOL department or an official report from relevant security department of their country of origin, stating that the applicants meet the necessary criteria to take flight training.
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
Professional Flight Pilot Training:
|Annual tuition fee||9000 Euro|
|ATPL Training||9000 Euro (to be paid in 2nd, 3rd and 4th years)|
|Annual English Preparatory School Program fees||5600 Euro|
Important notice: The Department of Pilotage (Professional Flight) has been allocated a quota for 20 students in OSYM guidebook. 18 students will be placed to the department in accordance with tuition fee payment requirements, and 2 students will be granted with full scholarships.
The registration procedures of students who have been placed to the Department of Pilogate (Proessional Flight) will be carried out at the university campus in TRNC and by the representatives in Istanbul and in other cities, between 1-5 September.
TERMS AND DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION
The terms and conditions specified at the section of Applications of University of Kyrenia are in practice for registrations. Besides,
- 1st Degree Health Report (Detailed Health Report) (Authorized Hospitals www.shgm.gov.tr/doc/hastaneler.doc)
- PAPI test results (those who will sign a contract must obtain a score of 6 from each section of PAPI test).
- Official Criminal Report
- Document stating the proficiency level of applicant (ICAO Test Level 4, a minimum score of 550 from paper based TOEFL, a minimum score of 213 from computer based TOEFL, or 79-80 from internet based TOEFL, or a minimum score of 6.0 from International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If such a document is not available, the students take the English Proficiency Test administered by the English Preparatory School, and those who pass the test continue their education at the department. Those who fail the test are required to take the English preparatory program in order to achieve the required proficiency level in English. TOEFL and IELTS results are deemed valid for two years after the date of exam.
Admission requirements for International applicants
An international applicant is defined as an applicant who intends to enroll in courses with Kyrenia Campus location and is not a citizen, immigrant or refugee of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. University of Kyrenia is authorized to enroll non-immigrant students. It is recommended that International applicants submit the application for admission 60 days prior to the desired term start date.
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES UNDER THE AGE OF 20
- Official High School transcript
- If the high school is outside of TRNC or Turkey, academic performance should be at the equivalent of 0 GPA or higher out of 4.0, also at the below table (Table 1) the additional requirements are stated.
- Two letters of recommendation from a school counselor or teacher. Letters from parents or relatives will not be accepted.
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES OVER THE AGE OF 20
- Official high school transcript
- If the high school is outside of TRNC or Turkey, academic performance should be at the equivalent of 2.0 GPA or higher out of 4.0.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. If the college(s) attended was/were outside of the TRNC or Turkey, then the transcript(s) must be approved by the department for comparison to University of Kyrenia Standards
- Evidence of work experience since completion of high school (Resume)
TRANSFER STUDENT APPLICANTS
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions attended
- To be considered for admission, course work must have been completed with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at an accredited degree granting college or university. If the college(s) attended was/were outside of TRNC, Turkey or EU then it is preferred that the transcript(s) must be sent to one of approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Agencies for comparison to Turkish Higher Education Standards.
Please note: all international applicants who have any educational experience outside the TRNC or Turkey are required to provide an official course-by-course evaluation. The evaluation must include the cumulative grade point average, reported in English, and mailed directly from the Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) Agency to University of Kyrenia. If a fee is to be charged by the agency it must be paid directly to the FCE by the applicant. For further information, please contact the Registrar's Office of University of Kyrenia.
For the evaluation of international admissions, SAT test or its equivalent which intends to assess a student's readiness for higher education before admission, is recommended to be taken.
- APPLICATION FORM
- ORIGINAL COPY OF DIPLOMA
- REFERENCE LETTER FROM THE SCHOOL YOU LAST ATTENDED
- FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS COPY OF ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT AND COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- COPY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE QUALIFICATION (IF AVAILABLE)
- THE GENERAL HEALTH CHECK-UP REPORT (NECESSARY FOR ADMISSION, CAN BE OBTAINED AT ANY STATE HOSPITAL AND MUST BE PROVIDED BEFORE ARRIVAL TOGETHER WITH APPLICATION)
- CLASS-1 HEALTH CHECK-UP REPORT (FROM ANY ACCREDITED HOSPITALS AND/OR HEALTH INSTITUTIONS, NECESSARY FOR REGISTRQATION)
- PAPI TEST
- ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CERTIFICATES ALSO ACCEPTED.
TABLE 1. ACCEPTABLE CERTIFICATES
|SAT 1||At least a total of 1000 points|
|GCE (A level)||At least on of the subjects must be relevant to the department applied, and at least one of the subjects (maths, chemistry, or physics) must be A level, and four subjects must be O level.|
|ACT (American College Test)||At least 21|
|Baccalaureat Libanais test administered in Lubnan||At least 12/20|
|Tawjihi Test administered in Jordan and Palestine||For departments accepting students with quantitative scores, at least 80/100 from Scientific Stream; for departments accepting students with equally weighted scores, 80/100 from Industrial and/or Commercial Stream.|
|International Baccalaureat Diploma||Diploma average grade at least 24|
|French Baccalaureat||Diploma average grade at least 10/20|
|ABITUR degree||Maximum 4|
|Gaokao Exam administered in Public Republic of China||At least 450 points out of 750 in subject type of the program applied|
|Al-Shahada-Al Thanawiyya (Baccalaureate) Exam administered in Syria||At least 160/240 in relevant subject|
|Al-Shahada-Al Thanawiyya (Baccalaureate) Exam administered in Libya||At least 160/240 in relevant subject|
|High school diploma grade and Pishdaneshgahi Completion Grade in Iran||At least 12/20|
|Kazakhistan National University Test||At least 70/120|
|WACE/NECO exam administered in Nigeria||At least C (from 6 subjects)|
|Senegal Baccalaureate||At least 12/20 from subject type of the program applied|
|Matura degree||Having been conferred the diploma|
|Except the exams and diplomas specified above, if available, national exam results the applicants have obtained from their country of origin||At least 45% out of total grade|
*NOTE: Students unable to obtain the required scores must take the program of Preparatory School.
Please note that the agency who has been applied must forward the final course-by-course evaluation directly to:
|University of Kyrenia||Attention: International Office||Kyrenia, Mersin 10 Turkey|
|Girne Üniversitesi||Uluslararası Ofis||Girne, Mersin 10 Turkey|
|Contact Information for International Admissions|
|Gülden Aydar Ünlü||Manager of International Admissions||Email:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
FREQUENTLY QUESTIONS ASKED
- Are there any exams required for admission?
It is highly recommended that students under the age of 20 who have earned fewer than 12 college level semester credit hours at an accredited and degree-granting institution, take the SAT/ACT or its equivalent to demonstrate intellectual maturity by achieving a minimum score of 21 on the ACT or 1000 on the SAT (combined math and critical reading). If you do not have an English language knowledge test result showing your level of proficiency in English, you will be administered an English proficiency test which will be administered by the English Preparatory School.
- Is the TOEFL or other English proficiency test required for admission?
In order to be kept exempted from the English preparatory school program prep school program, international and domestic applicants whose primary language is not English must be:
Successful in ICAO level 4 exam or obtain a minimum score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based), or 79-80 (internet based) or obtain a minimum score of 6.0 from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- What is the purpose of Math placement exams?
- What happens if I do not obtain a health report?
- I am wearing eyeglasses, can I register to program?
- Which licences do have the graduate students?
- What happens in case of failure from applied flight training courses or disinclination in continuing to flight trainings?
The purpose of the Mathematics Placement Exams is to ensure that students are initially placed in Mathematics courses in which they can be successful and those that will prepare them for subsequent courses. For the professional pilot programs students must get at least 80% from the math part of the PAPI test.
Applicants who do not have a valid health certificate will not be registered.
The doctor, who will examine you at the hospital which will issue the health report, will decide about this in accordance with JAR-FCL-3 rules. If you are unsure about your sight conditions, you can in advance make an application to the relevant department of the authorized hospital and have your sight conditions diagnosed.
The graduates of the department are conferred upon Professional Flight Training Licence Diploma (4 years based); upon completion of ATP (A) courses, graduate students can take the exams administered by SHGM and have a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL), Instrument rating licence (IR), and Flight Instructor Licence.
Students, who successfully continue their theoretical courses up to 3rd term, however, fail from flight training courses or unwilling to continue trainings, will be provided with an opportunity to transfer to other programs in accordance with their base grades. Besides, students who complete their 2 years based training and complete their PPL flights successfully, can be conferred upon a 2 years based associate degree diploma.